Steyr town hall
The town hall, one of Austria’s most significant Rococo monuments, was built by Gotthard
Hayberger, mayor and city judge of Steyr between 1765-1778.
The four Baroque female statues on the balustrade stand for the powers held by the municipality at the time. Justice (scales and sword), penal law (ball and chains at her feet), clerical patronage (censer), and Roman law (holding a book).