Weyer parish church

Weyer, Oberösterreich, Österreich
  • Suitable for groups
  • Suitable for kids (all ages)

The parish of Weyer an der Enns was first mentioned in documents during the consecration in 1259. The construction of the church to its present form took place over centuries.
The Gothic church was expanded and rededicated in 1443. From 1848 to 1852, the sacred building was extended by the transept and the choir as part of a comprehensive restoration.
The church consists of a single-nave, four-bay, Gothic nave with net-rib vaults. The transept is two bays long on both sides with 3/8 closes. The lower part of the south tower dates from the Gothic period. The cross-vaulted tower chapel has stucco from 1745. The three-axis choir rests on cross-rib and star-rib vaults.

Gothic frescoes are preserved in the church. One of them - "Annunciation of the Lord" - dates back to the first quarter of the 14th century. In the vault of the nave there are the Evangelists' Symbols, made in the middle of the 15th century. Both frescoes were uncovered in 1949 and some of them were heavily restored.

The four altars were almost destroyed by Turkish attacks in 1532. Among the altars subsequently rebuilt, one was dedicated to St. Anne. In 1775 a new side chapel was built and in 1881 a Lourdes grotto was created from the tower chapel.

In 2004, during the renovation, the Marian altar was upgraded with a special arrangement of benches and a candle table, and the Lourdes grotto was transformed into a "place of reconciliation", a confession and debate room.

The high altar was built in 1661 (Christoph Matthäus Degenhart), it shows the parish patron John, the evangelist, as a seer on Patmos at the feet of Mary.Changes were made to it in 1675 and 1755.In 1847, the late Gothic presbytery was demolished and a new building was added to the old nave. Next to the Maximilianskirche in Linz, it is the earliest building of the neo-Gothic style in the country.  

Particularly noteworthy is the altar of the Virgin Mary, which, along with the other three altars, was rededicated after the Turkish invasion. In 1628 it received as its main sculpture a "Mary with the Child" by Hans Spindler. This image of "Maria Trost" in Weyer developed into a place of pilgrimage. The Anna altar shows a wooden sculpture of "Anna Selbdritt" (1535) and accompanying figures of St. John the Baptist and St. Leopold.    

The pulpit was built in 1711 by the carpenter Bartholomäo Riedelsberger from Weyer. In the nave there are some baroque statues, partly from the 17th century. In the church are also a Gothic baptismal font, a Baroque holy water font and several Gothic and Baroque tombstones.The bell was cast in 1711.

The decoration history was extended with new objects by the sculptor Alois Lindenbauer, who lives in Weyer.

The artist Siegfried Anzinger, who is renowned throughout Europe and was born in Weyer, designed two stained glass windows for the Weyer parish church. He designed one window each as a women's window and a men's window and also marked them with the common symbol. Each window consists of six fields, which are connected to form a unit.
A detailed description of the motifs can be found on the website of the parish of Weyer

  • opened daily
  • open to the public

Travelling by public transport
Route planner for independent travellers
General price information

Freely accessible during opening hours

  • Suitable for groups
  • Suitable for schools
  • Suitable for kids (all ages)
  • Suitable for teenagers
  • Suitable for seniors
  • Suitable for single travelers
  • Suitable for friends
  • Suitable for couples
  • Suitable for children
  • Spring
  • Summer
  • Autumn
  • Winter

Please get in touch for more information.


Weyer parish church
Oberer Kirchenweg 87/1
3335 Weyer

Phone +43 7355 6274

Contact person

Pfarre Weyer

We speak the following languages


powered by TOURDATA