L5 Garsten - Großes Hufeisen
Interactive elevation profile
"Challenging and wonderful panoramic trail that takes you along the Enns via the Windloch to Damberg, Schwarzberg, Sonnberg and Fuchsenkogel."
Quality of experience: *****
This very special circuit with 28.4 km and 872 m elevation gain is an absolute highlight in the Steyr region for trail runners with good stamina. It's a real circular course, with only a few hundred meters of the 28.4km being run twice. The terrain on this tour is very varied: from asphalt and forest paths to meadows and flowy and challenging single trails, everything is there.
“The tour starts directly in Garsten at the train station. From there it goes through the village for the first time, past the outdoor pool and over the power plant. A beautiful gravel path leads upstream along the dammed up Enns until at km 3.5, after a short, steep ascent, you cross the main road (petrol station). Wonderful trails lead from the foot of the Damberg over the Windloch (partly quite steep), to the Dambergwarte (wonderful all-round view for those with a head for heights) and on to the Schwarzberg, where the summit cross and bench invite you to take a break. Between km 15-19 the path leads over fantastically beautiful meadow trails to the Sonnberg and the Fuchsenkogel. Here you have a wonderful panoramic view of the Ennstal. At km 19 don't miss the turning to the right and after a few meters you turn left again and downhill across a meadow. Then follows a 2km long and demanding downhill. Now the path leads out of the valley back to the Enns and over the bridge to Lahrndorf. The meters in altitude have been covered and a departure along the Enns is imminent.”
The panoramic trail around the Sonnberg and Fuchsenkogel are breathtakingly beautiful in the evening due to the western orientation!
The required equipment always depends on the particular tour and the weather conditions. Regarding the food: This is very individual and it is recommended to have rather too much than too little with equipment and food. For a 5km round in the valley you need less than for a demanding tour in the mountains. The weather can change quickly and if you are not constantly on the move or need to take a break, for example, warming clothing is of great importance.
We have a general checklist for you here:
- Weather-appropriate running gear for the season - weather forecast - region - elevation. This includes:
* a waterproof rain jacket
* a waterproof rain trousers suitable for running
* Gloves and warm headgear (hood/headband/towel).
* sunglasses + sunscreen + headgear for very warm days
- Trail running shoes
- Drinking bottles, softflasks or a hydration bladder with enough liquid for the respective tour (if necessary also salt tablets/magnesium)
- Snacks for the energy boost in between: Energy bars, gels, chocolate, trail mix,
- Running backpack: ideally a trail running vest / a trail running backpack or a belly belt for small tours.
- Drypack: to keep your valuables or change of clothes dry (optionally a small garbage bag).
- Emergency blanket
- Small first aid kit. An Israeli bandage is highly recommended: this is a one-handed wound and pressure bandage. Details can be found here.
- Emergency whistle (often integrated in trail backpacks)
- Cell phone
- Maps (online and/or offline)
- E-card or insurance card
- Some cash
- Grödeln/Spikes: these can be a great advantage in winter and icy conditions.
- Folding poles for trail running
Garsten train station
- Early winter
- Deep winter
Please get in touch for more information.
Interactive elevation profile