St. Mary's Church Inzersdorf
- All weather
- Suitable for groups
The Inzersdorf branch church in the Kremstal is dedicated to St. Mary and houses the famous Inzersdorf Madonna. The sacred building was built in 1974/75 and is a listed building with the name Catholic Parish Church of St. Mary's Church.
Around 1700, the parish chronicle reported the progressive decline of a church that was then dedicated to St. was dedicated to Nicholas. Weyerhof is assumed to be the location; no further data is known. There has been a small branch church in today's town center since 1927. This former church was a blacksmith's barn that was converted into a place of worship, i.e. a kind of former barn.
The groundbreaking ceremony for the current sacred building took place on April 8, 1974 by Abbot Othmar Rauscher and Mayor Josef Tretter. The consecration of the war memorial and the consecration of the bells took place on October 27, 1974. The transfer of the Madonna from the old building and the first service were celebrated on December 24, 1974.
The 40th anniversary of the church consecration was celebrated in August 2015.
St. Mary's Church is rather simple in the style of the 1970s. The church tower contains three bells. Inside the church, the people's altar is flanked by a small organ on one side and by the well-known Inzersdorf Madonna on the other side.
The Gothic Madonna from the 13th century and a wooden figure of St. Sebastian, dated to the 3rd quarter of the 17th century, were taken over from the old church building.
The Inzersdorf Madonna statue was created around 1430; its original location is not known. There is evidence that she has only been in town since 1917; a small farmer's chapel served as her shelter. However, its artistic value was only recognized from 1927, when it found a place in the previous church to today's St. Mary's Church and thereby aroused general interest.
Today the statue is considered to be the work of the Master of Seeon (an emergency name for a famous, unnamed sculptor of the 15th century). The Gothic Madonna was modified in the Baroque style in the 18th century. Restorations are documented for the years 1938 and 1955. The wooden statue shows the Mother of God with baby Jesus in her arms.